LED lighting is getting crazier by the day. The good thing is that the fixtures are getting smaller and easier to install.
Installing recessed cans in an existing ceiling can be a pain. From crawling on your belly like a snake through insulation, to trying to mount the can with one hand so it won’t fall through the hole. Then there is the space factor. Trying to cram a 6 inch can in a 3 inch space full of insulation that many fixtures cannot have contact with.
Luckily, Lithonia has come out with a solution to these problems!
The Wafer LED!
The 6″ Wafer-Thin LED recessed downlight with remote driver box combines high quality light output and efficiency while eliminating the pot light housing for competitive affordability. This innovative wafer-slim Type IC design allows easy installation for new construction or remodel from below the ceiling without the requirement of a pot light housing.
Ideal for shallow ceiling plenum; no housing required. Steel spring clip for easy installation. 6″ cut out template is provided to ensure a correct sized hole is cut into ceiling for proper installation of the trim. Size of hole should not exceed 6 1/4 inches for this product.
Wafer-Thin downlight edge-lit LED technology uses light guided plate to distribute light.
Polycarbonate lens provides even illumination throughout the space. Utilized 3000K and 4000K color temperature LEDs.
These days there are tons of LED flash lights out there! Every size and shape imaginable.
Klein has come out with a new Penlight that is really cool. This is great for up-close inspection. It also has a glow in the dark tip, (I LOVE anything that glows in the dark). I think the coolest thing about it though, is that it has a laser pointer! Most people will use it to point out conduits, wires and other important things. Myself, well, I have a huge in door cat! I use it make him run from one end of the house to the other to hopefully drop some weight. (The flash light comes in handy to look under the couch for cat toys).
The new Klein Inspection Penlight uniquely features a laser that can be used to pinpoint hard-to-reach places, which is ideal for communicating with foreman, inspectors, colleagues, etc. Helping to reduce, or even eliminate, mistakes is what makes the Inspection Penlight with Laser a job site necessity.
- LED penlight for up-close lighting in dim areas
- Laser pointer pinpoints objects or features that are out of reach
- Glow ring tip charges while the light is on and allows for easy retrieval in the dark
- Pocket clip for easy, convenient storage
- Aluminum body with cushion-grip handle
Every month I write the blog hoping to entertain and inform our customers about new products, but this month’s blog is going to be a little more serious.
This month I want to talk about the importance of carbon monoxide detectors. Every year, 20,000 to 30,000 people in the United States are sickened by accidental carbon monoxide poisoning and approximately 500 people die, many in their own home. Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, and tasteless, which is why carbon monoxide detectors are so important. Most detectors are hard wired and interconnected, but if you have an older home, this may not be the case.
Kidde makes a battery powered detector that can be installed anywhere.
The Nighthawk battery operated carbon monoxide alarm is an easy to install unit that provides reliable protection against the dangers of carbon monoxide. Written information and instruction make this unit’s operation easy for anyone to understand. The Nighthawk DC Basic alarm has a small, sleek design that is suitable for all living areas and has a 7-year limited warranty.
- Battery Operated (3AA’s included) – Provides protection during power outages.
- Test/Reset Button – Tests the unit for proper operation. Resets the Carbon Monoxide alarm.
- 7-Year End of Life Warning – Alerts user to replace CO alarm after 7-years of operation. (40% longer than other CO alarms)
- UL Listed – Lifelong Warranty
Drilling holes in wood studs. Every electrician has to do it. These days the task is much easier thanks to the invention of the electric drill.
If you have ever watched a barn raising on Little House on the Prairie, you have seen a guy with a beard spinning the handle of an old drill by hand. This must have taken DAYS to drill 5 holes. What if the hole was in the wrong place?!
Today, electricians use the reliable “Hole Hawg” from Milwaukee! Power and torque, that’s about all that needs to be said about the Hole-Hawg line of drills. The compact design of this drill makes it perfect for drilling between studs and joists. This unit will handle up to a 4-5/8 in. Selfeed Bit. An extra-long pipe handle helps you control the power. The 1676-6 features two speed ranges, 1200 and 300 RPM, this will greatly increase the versatility of this drill. Hi-torque and hi-speed make this the perfect choice for the heavy duty user.
- Handles up to 4-5/8 in. selffeed bit
- Two speeds: 300 and 1,200 RPM, reversing
- Powerful 7.5 amp motor
- Powerful, yet compact for large hole drilling between joists and studs
- 1/2 in. Hole-Hawg Two-Speed Drill, 300/1,200 RPM with Case – 1676-6
- Carrying Case – 48-55-0111
- Pipe Handle
- Product Manual
Now in stock!
I do a lot of home projects, and I love to listen to music while I work. In my house it’s easy. I just turn up the surround sound loud enough to hear it in every room. The only problem is, so can my neighbors! Although I did see an older coupling walk past my house bobbing their heads to “LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR!”
So, I started just using my phone. Taking it from room to room. Not the best quality and it reminds me of the old transistor radios we carried around as kids. Ear buds, as it turns out, were not the answer. I got the cord wrapped around a drill bit and tore them right out of my ears.
Then I found this!
The Klein Wireless Job Site Speaker.
- Connects wirelessly via Bluetooth* or a wired auxiliary input
- 8 ft (10 m) connectivity range (in open space)
- 10-Hour battery life
- Drop protected up to 6.6 ft (2 m)
- Powerful rear magnet holds speaker to metal surfaces (panels, ducts, etc.)
- Twist-lock flange mounts to Klein’s Lighted Tool Bag (Cat. No. 55431)
- 1/4-20 threaded mount on bottom allows attachment to any standard tripod
- Rated IP45 waterproof/dustproof
- Able to answer calls hands-free with the built-in speakerphone
- Includes 1/8” (3.5 mm) stereo auxiliary cable and micro USB-to-standard USB charging cable
FYI : Even though you can connect the speaker to the Tool Bag full of tools, I don’t advise trying to hold it up to your ear while dancing like we did with boom boxes in the old days!
Fall has hit in corn country. The days are getting shorter which means the all the farmers are seeing which barn light is out. You know, the barn light! It has been around forever. With it’s horrible yellow glow and a lens that flies off as soon as the wind blows. Every fall we go through dozens of them! They are a huge waste of electricity burning 150 watts of yellow light that just makes everything look like nuclear fallout.
Well, no more! These dinosaurs have finally been replaced with a LED alternative.
The RAB Yardblaster!
- Replaces 175W mercury vapor and 150W HPS barn lights
- Widespread light distribution illuminates large areas
- High-impact poly-carbonate lens
- Rugged die-cast aluminum housing withstands harsh environments
- Integrated dusk to dawn photocell
- 100,000-hour LED lifespan
This fixture is very easy to install and in most cases, it will fit right on the existing arm!
The incandescent light bulb, the work horse of lighting since Edison invented it! The power of this invention is a fond memory of mine. When I was a kid, my sister had an EZ-Bake oven! It was amazing to me that a light bulb could make treats. No matter how they turned out, she would always made me eat them.
If you have ever taken out a burning lamp, you know how hot they get. Older houses have porcine sockets with a lamp in the closet. Let’s face it, we fill our closets, and an exposed lamp could make an EZ-bake disaster.
In most cases the fixture must be replaced with a new fixture that has a globe, or, you can simply install the Sylvania ULTRA LED Retro Fit lamp! It’s so simple, take out the existing lamp and screw the ULTRA LED into the socket! BAM!!! You now have a great looking LED fixture with a pull chain.
Key Features & Benefits
- Lumen package: – 700 lumens @ 9 watts (without pull chain)-
- 1200 lumens @ 15 watts (with pull chain)
- Replacement for 65W incandescent
- CCT: 2700K & 4000K
- CRI of 82
- Reduces energy consumption up to 86%
- 50,000 hours life (L70)
- Suitable for damp and dry locations
- Save up to $308 over the life of the fixture and last 25X longer
- 5 year warranty
Wire strippers have come a long way since I was a kid. Then again there really was only one reason for me and my friends to ever use a pair. You see back in the day cars didn’t come with cool stereos with speakers everywhere, no, we had an AM radio and one small speaker in the dash. The solution, head down to the local stereo shop and buy a groovy new AM/FM CASSETTE stereo!! If we were lucky, it fit right in place of the old radio. Next, connecting the wires. We usually ran a wire directly to the battery for power. Not a good idea. Now the speakers!! Since we never had a pair of wire strippers, we would use our teeth to strip the wire. By time we were done there was a mass of wires and tape under the dash and we had sore gums from chewing the insulation off the wires.
Avoid sore gums, and get a nice pair of wire strippers! Ideal for example, has a great line. Right now they are offering a limited edition 100-year anniversary wire stripper. It comes in a red, white and blue color scheme to commemorate 100 years of being made in America!
Holes! In the electrical industry they are very important. We put pipe in them, stick wires through them, and even install lighting in them.
Today we are lucky, we have all kinds of fun tools to make them with! In the old days, holes were made with manual drills that you would have to crank by hand. This could take days, but your arms would at least look great!
So, it’s so cool that Klein has so many great options for making holes.
Everything from the Carbide-Tipped cutters that go from ½” – 2” pipe sizes, an adjustable hole saw to cut in can lights, and these really neat Ship-Auger Bits that will go through nails, wood, vinyl plastic and heavy timber. (They would also be great in a horror movie.)
Ever since I was a kid, I have loved anything that glows in the dark. My sister and I used to love to play, “The Barnabas Collins Dark Shadows Game!” Your goal? Be the first person to assemble a full skeleton. You draw a bone or stake from the coffin each turn, though you’re going to want to avoid the stakes. Oh, and the skeleton glows in the dark. “If you win, the curse of the vampire is yours!” Yes, we had a strange Mother who loved horror movies and to scare us to death whenever she could.
Another great pass time was catching lightning bugs……..and then smearing the tails on our arms, running around the yard in the dark until the lightning bug goo quit glowing.
So it is very cool that Klein tools has come out with a line of screw drivers that have handles that glow in the dark!
The Hi-Viz Drivers.
- Excellent glow-in-the-dark feature allows you to find your tools in the dark.
- Handle charges when placed in direct sunlight or artificial light.
- Precision-machined tip provides accurate fit and torque without slippage.
- Tip-Ident® quickly identifies the screwdriver type and tip orientation.
- Premium chrome-plated for smooth feel and corrosion resistance.
- Internal flanges inside handle provide solid, twist-resistant blade anchor.
- Special heat-treated shafts.
- Meets or exceeds applicable ASME/ANSI specifications.