The 2014 NEC code states:
406.9(B) (1): Extra-Duty Covers at 15- and 20-Ampere Receptacles at Wet Locations.
This provision contains the previous requirement that all 15- and 20-ampere and all 125- and 250-volt receptacles—when installed in wet locations—must have enclosures and covers that are weatherproof, whether or not the attachment plug cap is inserted.
These are known as Bubble covers. They are designed so you can have a cord plugged in with the cover closed.
It’s a great idea, but they are UGLY!!!
They look like a huge plastic pimple sticking out of the side of your house.
Some are plastic, some are more heavy duty gray cast aluminum.
Intermatic has come out with a very cool cover, that not only complies with the code, but it looks great!!
The WP6000 and WP7000 series covers have an expandable clear cover that can be pushed in when it’s not in use!!
You might say, the pimple has been popped!!!
• Complies with 2017 NEC for Wet Locations/Extra-Duty Applications (WP7000 and WP7200 models only) and CEC Section 26-702
• Heavy-duty UV stabilized polycarbonate construction ensures long-lasting durability
• Single-gang covers mount vertically or horizontally
• Single-gang models: GFCI pre-set for faster installation Two inserts are provided with all models, allowing for up to eight unique configurations
• Double-gang models: GFCI pre-set for faster installation Four inserts are provided with all models, allowing for up to 16 unique configurations
• Reinforced hinge pin: Designed to withstand a 40 lbs. hinge hang/stress test
• Impact-rated: Tested in 12 lbs. impact test to ensure cover remains intact
• Lockable hasp: All models accept up to 0.19″ dia shank
• Meets requirements for cold impact testing at -60°F (-51°C)
• 6000/7000/7200 Series available in gray, white and bronze • 6200 Series is available in gray only