First there was the split bolt. This device requires you to strip the wire, scratch brush it, put anti oxide on it, tighten it with 2 wrenches, and wrap it with 2 rolls of rubber tape then 3 rolls of electrical tape. It looks awesome (NOT), and takes a lot of time and space in a box.
Then came the compression splice. Strip the wire, stick it in both ends of the splice, crimp it down and then heat shrink. Problem is, a lot of folks don’t own a crimper so they go old school with a hammer or a rock to smash it!
Now there is a quick and easy way to splice. The Burndy Unitap!
This is so cool!!! Strip the wire, insert into the Unitap and tighten down the set screws and you’re done. No tape, no heat shrink and it is a nice looking splice.
Features & Benefits
- 600 Volt Rated
- Fully Insulated Aluminum 6061-T6 connector body saves time and lowers installation costs by eliminating the need for taping
- Listed to UL486A-B (File E9498)
- CSA Certified to C22.2, No. 65 (File 042860_c_00)
- Rated for use with flex conductor (No Ferrules Required!)
- AL9CU dual rated for use with copper and aluminum conductors
- Range taking designs will accommodate wire sizes from #14-750 kcmil Class B & C, and #14- 535 DLO Flex
- Configurations include Taps, In-Line Splice Reducers, Single-Sided Entry, and Double-Sided Entry with the number of ports from 2 to 14
- Clear Plastisol Insulation allows visual confirmation that conductor is properly inserted into port
- Operating temperature from -40°C to 135°C
- Conductor ports are pre-filled with oxide inhibitor
- Screw Port and Conductor Port caps provided to protect against contamination and accidental contact of energized parts
- Caps are color coordinated to quickly identify maximum conductor size accommodated
- Screw Port caps contain recommended installation torque values for quick and easy reference
- • Conductor Port caps contain the accommodated wire range and allowable conductor classes