Yes, this is going to be one of those “Back in my day we……….” blogs, so here it goes! Well, back in my day we had to learn things the hard way. Like never smash a can of shaving cream with a cinder block unless you want to be covered in shaving cream, never ride your bike through a pile of burning leaves if your bell bottoms are frayed at the bottom, and never throw a bucket in the air to catch a bat under the street light unless you know what to do with it if you catch it.
The biggest was never stick a screw driver in the duplex receptacle! (Makes a big boom and lots of smoke.) Today, that lesson doesn’t need to be learned the hard way because the NEC has adopted the code calling for Tamper Proof Receptacles.
The Pass & Seymour TradeMaster® receptacles combine a traditional look with reliable, time-tested operation for any residential application. This receptacle is also outfitted with our patented automatic shutter system to prevent young children from inserting common objects, such as hairpins or keys. The shutters release when a plug is inserted. Required by the National Electrical Code® (NEC®).
- Meets 2008 National Electrical Code Tamper-Resistant requirements
- Protects children: patented shutter system—now with black “invisi-shutters” that disappear for an invisible effect—helps prevent improper insertion of foreign objects
- High-impact resistant thermoplastic construction
- Extra-long strap
- Quickloop wire looping aid
- Long-term blade retention
- Longer tri-drive screws for easier 12 AWG looping
- Extra-large circuit break-off tabs
- Side-access push wire release
- Ultrasonic welding of face to back body
- Side wire accepts #12 – #14 AWG solid wire
- Push wire accepts #14 AWG solid only
- Superior protection than traditional outlet caps or protection plates
- Low profile face
- Traditional contoured face (3232 models)
- Self-grounding models provide automatic ground clip